The other day I was looking for a fun Easter treat to make and came across this adorable recipe involving rice krispies treat-shaped eggs with Easter M&Ms hidden inside. It looked really cute and simple enough, so I thought I would give it a try for my blog and also as a test for treats to serve on Easter Sunday. Well, it turns out they weren’t as easy as it looked and I definitely need to practice a few more times before Easter because it ended up being a #Pinterestfail.
Here are the directions:
- Clean, then coat inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add Marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
4. Using greased hands, firmly press 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture into each plastic egg half. Use fingers to make hollow center in each half. Remove from molds. Place on wax paper. Cool slightly.
5. Place M&M’s Brand Chocolate Candies in one half of each egg. Gently press two halves of each egg together until they stick. Cool Completely.
The beginning started out smooth – I was confident and really excited to be able to put together these cute and delicious treats for the kiddos! That was all before I had to actually stuff the freshly made rice krispies treat into the plastic egg and then hollow out the center for the M&M’S “surprise”.
Again, it sounded so easy (like many Pinterest ideas do!); but after coating my hands with a ton of Pam and butter, then attempting to fill the plastic egg with rice krispies treats, I quickly learned that all I was actually doing is making a huge mess. I’m not going to lie, it was very difficult and I was getting pretty frustrated. After making about five of these rice krispies treat-shaped eggs with the M&M’S hidden inside, I gave up! I simply took the rest of the rice krispies treat, found a large egg mold and covered it with Pam, then shoved it in. To my surprise, that actually worked! So, I decorated it with M&M’S and TA-DA, an Easter egg rice krispies treat!