Anyone who knows me, knows I love breakfast! I might not be the earliest riser, but I still think it’s really important to get a good healthy meal first thing when you wake up! I like to make sure my breakfast includes a lot of protein, veggies and good carbs to fuel me through the rest of my day.
Now, I know a lot of you might be thinking, “I don’t have time to make a big breakfast every morning,” I get it, and I’ve got you covered. Meal prepping my breakfast saves me so much time and makes me able to have a great, nutritious meal every morning. I usually like to meal prep my breakfast over the weekend, like Sunday night, when I have more time. It sets me up for success for the next week, knowing that I don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen on Monday morning making food for me, Kyle and Brexton.
This power quinoa breakfast bowl is one of our favorite go-to meal prep breakfasts. It is packed with protein from ground turkey sausage (or sometimes I’ll put chorizo in Kyle’s), eggs, and good carbs from quinoa. I also like to cook my quinoa in bone broth for added protein! I usually store my egg, sausage, and veggie mixture separate from the quinoa.
In the morning, I’ll put that mixture into a pan on the stove, and then I will heat up the quinoa in the microwave. Once everything is nice and hot, combine those two and add cheese, avocado and cilantro on top and enjoy!
1 Dozen Eggs (can substitute or add egg whites)
¼- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
1 tbsp Olive Oil
16 oz. Ground Lean Turkey Sausage
1 Red Pepper, diced
1 Yellow Pepper, diced
1 Green Pepper, diced
1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
½ Yellow Onion
1 cup Uncooked Quinoa
2 cups Bone Broth or Water
Mexican Blend Cheese
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Transfer to an air-tight container once done.
- While quinoa is cooking, dice peppers, onions and jalapeno and add them to a pan with olive oil. Sautee until the vegetables are soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook ground turkey sausage (or your choice of protein) until browned. Set aside.
- Scramble eggs and/or egg whites in a pan with Mrs. Dash seasoning.
- Once eggs are cooked, transfer to a bowl with the veggie mixture and ground. Stir to combine.
- Store mixture in an air-tight container.
- In a hot pan, add egg, veggie, and protein mixture. Cook until warm.
- Add desired amount of quinoa to a bowl and microwave until warm.
- Add heated egg mixture on top of quinoa.
- Top with cheese, avocado and cilantro.